Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fantasy On A Bus


Most mom's have those moments where they just want to pack a bag and chuck it all.


Yes, I am outing all of us, pulling a Ricky Martin on a social secret that most women will not admit to.


We all want to run away.


There's a bus that runs to New York near my house. It only stops here in the early morning and every day, drinking my coffee, I see that bus zoom by and dream I'm on it.


No, I don't have any real idea where I'm going or why I'm going. I just know I want to go.


Before there's a million messages in my mailbox about how concerned everyone is about me, no need to worry.


You see, fantasizing about running away is as close to a sexy dream that I have nowadays.


Its all about the freedom you see. The freedom to not have to worry about the day to day. The family, the bills, the economy, the house. Its that little piece of fantasy that you have buried in your mind that you want to act on, but for fear of pulling a Kramer vs Kramer, you don't. Getting on that bus to nowhere allows you to remember, just for a minute, just who you once were before you were a wife, mother...all that blessed stuff that can dominate everything you believed you were or believed you could be again.

That's as good as lying naked next to Brad Pitt for me.


Of course, you're considered a bad mother for thinking that way. But any human being needs a release from the hum drum of it all. You only hear about those moms that go all loony on the news...not from those who do it daily.


I love my family, my kids are the greatest....but there are times that using my imagination is the only way to get through the day when the papers need to be signed, the phone is ringing, the school bus is honking its horn and the husband needs gas money, even if I'm only in an imaginary seat.


1 comment:

  1. I don't have kids and don't have a mortgage, but I know that feeling of wanting to run away from it all. I'd think there might be something wrong with you for NOT feeling this way every now and again.

    Great post!

    Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete